HEAD Bikes SA has signed young cyclist Ian Els as the South African division’s most recent brand ambassador.
We’ve had our eye on Els for a couple of years – before HEAD bicycles were even in the country – as he’s shown remarkable potential and received notable results.
Els’ favourite discipline is XCO racing and becoming the South African champion XCO is his ultimate goal.
As a brand ambassador for HEAD bicycles, he will represent the brand at various events on the HEAD Trenton IV, our top of range hardtail bicycle, with Trenton V specs. Additionally, he’ll get a HEAD racing kit, HEAD casual wear, a branded gazebo and a Westfalia bicycle carrier. He’ll also receive support, guidance and advice from the HEAD team; as we’ve got a wealth of cycling experience between us.
Not only is Els an outstanding cyclist – having won the SA XCM champs, the Ashburton National series, the Gauteng Provincial XCO championship and the SA XCO championship – he’s an example and will encourage an interest in cycling to other potential young cyclists.
The HEAD Bikes SA team recently spent some time with Els and his family at our showroom at Route 21 Corporate Park in Irene and we knew we’d made the right decision. Els is exceptionally talented but remains humble and grateful for all the support he receives.
Els is definitely the young cyclist to watch, so why not support him at this year’s upcoming races? He’ll be competing in the following 2018 events:
- 21 July: SA National XCO Championships in Bloemfontein
- 11 August: Spur Gauteng #3 at Curro College Hazeldean, Pretoria
- 25 August: Spur Gauteng #4 at St Stithians College, Sandton
- 18 November: Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge, Johanessburg
- 15 September: Nissan TrailSeeker Mountain Bike Series #5 Mabalingwe, Mabalingwe Nature Reserve
- 28 – 30 September: 3 Towers Stage Race, Mankele Mtb, Mpumulanga
- 3 – 4 November: Spur Schools MTB League Nationals, TBC